Thursday, April 15, 2010

Love organic food, dislike hipsters...

I was feeling pent up today; paid my taxes, on a diet, planning a recital and prepping material for later dates- and I decide I have to get out of the house. What I REALLY wanted to eat was the grilled chicken sandwich and sweet potato fries at Henry's Ale House (62 Henry Street) but I thought to myself, "Be good Jen, go to Siggy's Good Food (an all-organic menu, just down the block from the Ale House) and get yourself something healthy." Here is the aftermath.


Siggy's does indeed have good food- I've been there several times, and like the smoothies, sandwiches, and Moroccan Chicken- BUT, today at lunch I experienced something I've never encountered.

My bill was $12.36 (chicken sandwich and Chinese Cola). I handed my visa/debit card to the 20 something waitress and she informs me, with a hipster casualness, "Oh, we have a $20 minimum on credit card purchases". I'm like, "Well, I don't have any cash on me" and it was actually true! So she says "Well, there's an ATM at the store over there, and another one down the block over there...." Etc...

So I'm dumbfounded and ask to speak to the manager, seeing if he or she will give me a break, after all, with tip, my total bill would be around $15, so surely they'll let it slide. Waitress says "I really can't" (with a fake ingratiating smile) "it's a $20 minimum and we can't take the card". Wow. I reply, "Are you really going to have me go to the ATM, get charged 3 bucks, so I can pay this 12 dollar check?!" and little girl waitress says "Oh, well, we really get the charges, so we can't take your card."

I'm fuming at this point, but I go to the ATM (after asking for the manager one last time) and thought about just walking away. I didn't, being an honest person, but when I got back to Siggy's- I confront the guy behind the smoothie counter and ask, plainly:

"Is there anywhere on the menu, or anywhere in this restaurant that says WE DONT TAKE CREDIT CARDS UNDER $20 ?" The answer was no. At this point I'm so sick of the staff at this restaurant that I say "You know, you're not supposed to refuse credit card payments." and he actually says to me "Well everyone around here does that, and it's only if they start cracking down on us will we get into trouble"

Needless to say, after some more bitching on my part, I left Siggy's without leaving a tip, and the stupid hipster waitress looking confused.

I'm from this neighborhood. I know the restaurants that only take cash, and those that accept credit- but guess what Siggy's? All of those cash-only places have it POSTED IN THE WINDOW, or ON THE WEBSITE, or ON THE MENU. Only a completely daft owner plays this wide-eyed innocence game with their customers. I guarantee you Siggy's, if I'd seen a sign, I would have a) walked on by knowing I didn't have cash, or b) stopped and gotten cash.

Unbelievable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Visa says its bylaws clearly state that merchants must not establish a minimum transaction amount. That's done, "To protect Visa cardholders so they can expect to use their cards anywhere, anyhow and anytime Visa is accepted," says a spokesman.

"If Visa finds out about a violation, Visa will issue an enforcement letter to the acquiring bank that enables the merchant to accept the card. It's up to the acquirer as to how to deal with the merchant."

MasterCard is also emphatic about dealing with violations although MasterCard deals with them directly.

What you do the next time you're told there's a minimum to use a credit card probably depends on how you feel about the issue. If you're sympathetic toward the merchant's plight you'll save the card for bigger purchases.

On the other hand, if you're trying to rack up every cent on your credit card for more frequent flier miles, you might rustle up your best steely eyed gaze and say, "That's not allowed."

If you'd rather complain with less fanfare, write to Visa at askvisacorporate@visa.com. MasterCard complaints will be accepted at 1-800-300-3069.

Bloggina said...

Thank you so much for the information!

The problem with this restaurant, is that many others in my neighborhood are cash only; therefore certain establishments feel they can impose a minimum charge. Unfortunately, I probably will not be dining there again- but if circumstances ever repeat, I'll have to force the hand.